Date:      Sun, 04 May 2003 12:55:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open source license with 24 month proprietary clause

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:
> Has anyone heard of an open source license where new code based on it can
> be kept proprietary for 24 months?
>
> Then after the 24 months that code becomes part of the public code base.
>
> I read a magazine article saying that the BSD license does this 24 month
> innovations claim.
>
> Time for a letter to the editor ...

Whistle did this when it funded the Soft Updates code.  It
was partially Whistle's idea (to prevent immediate competition
use of the code), and partially Kirk's (to allow him time to
sell seperate licenses for ports to people like Sun).

If you go back and look in the Attic, when the code was in a
separate location in the tree, it had such a license.

-- Terry