Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:43:21 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        James Bailie <jazzturk@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

On 21 Jan 00, at 4:46, James Bailie wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 10:02:11PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Clues please.
>
> The man page is a good place to start. mkstemp() creates a temporary
> filename and opens it in one go, to avoid the race condition between
> testing for the file's existence and opening it. since the filenames
> generated by mkstemp() et al are guessable and repeat, a malefactor could
> cause files to be overwritten elsewhere via symbolic link chicanery.

Thanks.  But the clues I want are those which enable this port to build.
And more specifically, why does it build on one box and not the other.
Same tarballs, etc.

Or more interestingly, if mktemp() is such a problem, why does one box
allow it?

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/