Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 01:12:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

David Johnson wrote:
> Getting a "default" desktop added to sysinstall would be
> rather like pulling teeth. After all, it already has an
> item to choose a default desktop. And if you do a standard
> install (which I haven't done in a while, so it may have
> changed), that question is posed to the installee.
> Thus, that side of the suggestion is already handled.
>
> The other side of it was to "tweak" the desktops for FreeBSD
> specificity. That can easily be done without changing
> existing packages.  Just create new metapackages. As an
> example: kde-newbie. This would install the basic kde
> metapackage, and then proceed to add icons for FreeBSD
> documentation (and replace the silly Tux icons while it's at
> it).

This is really insufficient, I think.

Unfortunately, you can't replace the entire install
process and cut your own CDROMs, and still call it
FreeBSD, according to the trademark holders.

Something about guaranteeing a consistent (-ly bad?)
user experience.

For a large number of users, it doesn't matter which
graphical environment you pick to install by default,
so long as you pick one and do it.

Having to grovel in the bowels of the packaging system
is a non-starter: if I have to go through all the
partitioning and other crap, or I boot to a non-graphical
login, well, you've already lost me, if I'm Joe Average
User...

It is no wonder no one ever rises to the "well make a
package for it" challenge: it has very little value that
translates into anything good for the user.

-- Terry