Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:15:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        SNF <lists@stevenfettig.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Somewhat OT - Can't get KDE to work for normal user

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, SNF wrote:

> I should have been more clear with this.  I can run startx as root and get
> xfree86/KDE running great.  I simply can't do it as any other user,
> though...  When I go and try runnung 'make install' on
> /usr/ports/x11/wrapper, it says that "==>  wrapper-1.0_1 is forbidden: This
> port is for XFree86-4"  - now that error has me a little bit confused since
> I already installed XFree86-4 with the pkg_add utility in /stand/sysinstall.
> Should I have run a make install for XFree86-4 from the ports?  and if so,
> what is the difference - besides the means by which it would have been
> installed?

Slightly OT on this slightly OT thread, but a new subproject in KDE has
started with the explicit aim of improving the quality of KDE on FreeBSD.
We already have the ports maintainers, but they are few compared to the
number of Linux-tainted developers out there. Heck, I was one until a few
days ago (so now I'm still tainted, but my purpose is to run down all the
linuxisms in the non-core packages and fix them). There's a new mailing
list -- separate from kde@freebsd.org because of a different charter
that we haven't quite thought up yet -- starting up for specific
KDE-on-FreeBSD questions. I just can't remember what its address is.