Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:13:56 -0600
From:      Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTP Protocal Question

Problem with an FTP user connection -- any ideas appreciated.

I use ProFTPD for FTP services on FBSD Stable-4.5 and all other private
account users from various parts of the globe have no problem logging in
to their user accounts, EXCEPT, for one account setup last night in the
UK. My server FTPD log shows him logged in successfully, but then ---
nothing --- then "FTP no transfer timeout, disconnected". Thus, he logs
in, but can't do anything, not even run "dir" list. My firewall log shows
some hint in the protocol versus other logins. Below are two lines, one
coming in via port 21 (okay - accept), but user machine sends another
packet via a closed port - denied. So, methinks that is the reason the
machines are not talking. Here are the lines with rule 3000 accept (port
21) & rule 3300 deny (port 3782):

<bigger>---------------------------------------------------------------------

ipfw: 3000 Accept TCP 217.135.3.162:3383 64.xxx.xx.xxx:21 in via tun0

ipfw: 3300 Deny TCP 217.135.3.162:3384 64.xxx.xx.xxx:3782 in via tun0

</bigger>The user in the UK is also using UNIX and here are the only
differences in the FTP settings that he has and I don't (using FTP
status):

<bigger>---------------------------------------------------------------------

</bigger>Hash mark printing: off; Mark count: 1024; Progress bar: on.

Get transfer rate throttle: off; maximum: 0; increment 1024.

Put transfer rate throttle: off; maximum: o; increment 1024.

Socket buffer sizes: send 65535, receive 65535.

Use of PORT cmds: on.

Use of EPSV/EPRT cmds for IPv4: on.

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,