Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:43:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Davis <dd002f@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Successful Installation of FreeBSD

Hear hear!
I would like to say that I think the installation procedure for FreeBSD is
absolutely wonderful, and is the reason I am currently using it rather
than Linux.

About a year and a half ago, I came upon Linux while searching for free
compilers (I was getting my first real intro to Unix through a comp sci
class I was taking). I started looking into it some more, and eventually
ordered a Debian CD. However, I was not successful installing, so I gave
up on it at the time. After looking for more Unix stuff, I came upon
FreeBSD. I figured I would try it out after my unsuccessful Debian
endeavour. I installed over ftp, left the installation procedure going
while I slept. Woke up in the morning, and lo and behold, it worked!
However, the semester ended, I lost my ethernet, and I needed to use the
FreeBSD drive as a backup when Windows died, so I was BSD-less for a
while. Once I was able to get myself some BSD CDs and a cable modem, I was
back in BSD-land, and here I am today. (=

Moral of the story: I would probably never have discovered FreeBSD if my
interest had not been piqued by Linux. And the fact that BSD's
installation procedure was nicer than Debian's kept me here.
So Linux's popularity can definitely be a positive thing for FreeBSD, if
only we can get the word out.

Just thought I would add to the positive feedback for FreeBSD. Like most
other people, I only really said anything before when I was having
problems. However, I have nothing but praise for the FreeBSD team. You all
have done an amazing job of putting out a great product. I wish I could
contribute more than praise, but I am a poor college student who cannot
code worth a damn (I knew I should have taken more than just those 2 comp
sci courses!). Keep up the good work, Jordan et. al.!

-Davis