Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:50:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: being root

>Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 05:32:03 +1100
>From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>

>Eh? What's this RCS business?

pau-amma[2]% apropos rcs | grep RCS
ci(1) - check in RCS revisions
co(1)                    - check out RCS revisions
ident(1)                 - identify RCS keyword strings in files
rcs(1)                   - change RCS file attributes
rcsdiff(1)               - compare RCS revisions
rcsfile(5)               - format of RCS file
rcsfreeze(1)             - freeze a configuration of sources checked in under RCS
rcsintro(1)              - introduction to RCS commands
rcsmerge(1)              - merge RCS revisions
rlog(1)                  - print log messages and other information about RCS files
pau-amma[3]%

RCS ("Revision Control System", written by Walt Tichy) is a
freely-redistributable (and comes as part of FreeBSD) set of programs
for keeping track of changes to files.

It was intended, as I recall, to be used for tracking changes to sources
for programs... but that doesn't mean that it's limited to that!

>What do you mean "track the changes"?

Well, I mean keeping a log of what changes ocurred, when by whom, and
(ideally) for what reason.

Here's an example:

pau-amma[3]% rlog /etc/rc.conf

RCS file: /etc/RCS/rc.conf,v
Working file: /etc/rc.conf
head: 1.4
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 4;     selected revisions: 4
Config file, as system was running on 10 March, 1998.
----------------------------
revision 1.4
date: 1998-03-12 10:46:43-08;  author: dhw;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Enabled lpd.
----------------------------
revision 1.3
date: 1998-03-11 07:11:09-08;  author: dhw;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Forgot to remove the extraneous "p" in the amd_flags.
----------------------------
revision 1.2
date: 1998-03-10 17:18:20-08;  author: dhw;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -6
Changes to use NIS amd maps.
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 1998-03-10 17:17:58-08;  author: dhw;  state: Exp;
Initial revision
----------------------------
pau-amma[4]%

>Is there a good way to start learning about it without getting early onset
>brain-burn?

Well...  :-)  No guarantees re: brain-burn...  :-)

However, of the man pages referenced above, the critical commands
for the vast bulk of RCS use in my experience are ci, co, rlog,
rcsdiff, and (to a lesser extent) rcs.  The rcsintro man page would
undoubtedly be useful.

Also:  The Jeffreys had an article in SunExpert around July or so of
last year about using RCS, and there's an O'Reilly book:  Bolinger, Don
& Bronson, Tan: _Applying RCS and SCCS_, August, 1995 (ISBN
1-56592-117-8).

One of the other nice things that using RCS religiously does is provide
a way to cleanly un-do changes that turn out to have been ill-advised.

The FreeBSD project uses CVS ("Cocurrent Versioning System", by Brian
Berliner) to track the changes made to FreeBSD... and CVS is built on
top of RCS.  However, for a single installation, I suspect that CVS is a
bit of overkill....

Cheers,
david
--