Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:00:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oh, btw...

:> How do we fix this problem?  I keeps from from
:> ``dd if=/dev/da1 of=/dev/da2'' ??  I was very peeved at having to put the
:> disks on a Solaris box to do such a normal Unix task.
:
:
:this will fix your dd
:
:Index: dd.c
:===================================================================
:RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/bin/dd/dd.c,v
:retrieving revision 1.27
:diff -u -r1.27 dd.c
:--- dd.c	1999/10/03 18:49:51	1.27
:+++ dd.c	1999/12/05 23:17:16
:@@ -216,6 +216,16 @@
: 		if (ioctl(io->fd, FIODTYPE, &type) == -1) {
: 			err(1, "%s", io->name);
: 		} else {
:+if (type & D_DISK) {
:+static int one = 1;
:+#ifndef	DIOCWLABEL
:+#define	DIOCWLABEL _IOW('d', 109, int)
:+#endif
:+fprintf(stderr, "is a disk\n");
:+if (ioctl(io->fd, DIOCWLABEL, &one) < 0) {
:+perror("DIOCWLABEL");
:+}
:+}
: 			if (type & D_TAPE)
: 				io->flags |= ISTAPE;
: 			else if (type & (D_DISK | D_MEM))
:

    Woa, timeout!

    dd if=/dev/da1 of=/dev/da2 had better work - the label area should not
    be in any way write protected when you use the non-partition device.

    If you were to use /dev/da2c, *then* it would be reasonable to
    write-protect the label area.  But if you use /dev/da2 it is not.

    We should not go around hacking dd when the problem is in the kernel.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>