Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:49:25 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:30:20 +0400, "Andrey A. Chernov" wrote:

> > Hold on a second.  What files does Apache _write_ as user nobody?
>
> Any file written from cgi-bin script f.e.

Sheesh, I wish I'd seen this conversation happening before you committed
your change. :-(

The administrator has to create directories into which these cgi scripts
can write files.  By default, onlt /tmp is availabe, and it's pretty
much okay for nobody to write into /tmp, given the goals of the nobody
user.

There are numerous ways of setting up CGI scripts so that they don't run
as nobody.  I think adding www:www to the system just for this was
unnecessary.

Ciao,
Sheldon.