Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:07:51 -0800
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: /etc/mail/access list to DENY spam?

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:03:48PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Gary D Kline wrote:
>
> > 	Several weeks ago someone posted the location of a spam
> > 	list for sendmail's /etc/mail/access file.  I understand
> > 	the file was large... but that makes no difference!  I'd
> > 	just like to filter out most of the spam I've been getting.
> >
> > 	Does anybody know where that sample access lst was?
>
> I posted a link to mine quite some time back.  Just now I updated it:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/access
>
> Beware, it's draconic.  But everything in there is a place from which
> I've received spam.  Oh, and this is *in addition to* using the
> relays.osirusoft.com DNSBL combination list, which includes SPEWS and
> many others.  Please do not use this file without studying it and
> probably modifying it first.
>
> PS: thanks for giving me credit on that little Perl CIDR script on
> daemonnews--but could you fix the text which says that 255.255.0.0 is
> /8 (should be /16)?  I tried to send you email, but it bounced.

	The mail bounce was due to change-ISP-HELL; all the miscellany
	that I screwed up on.  (I'm grateful for this list and the
	help gleened from the good people here!)  Please do re-send
	your mail and I get in touch with DN.org for the fix.

	--I've got to write a piece for the Jan issue... *soon*--

	Draconic is fine; I'd like to blackhole every spammer ever
	whelped.  I do have a 900-line list of my own IP's that was
	fairly effective.  When I was fighting alligators with my
	DNS and secondary and ISP and sendmail, I pitched my access
	file ...    It's backed up somewhere, but figured the one
	you mentioned might be more effective.   Or as-effective.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix