Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:09:33 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp, keithl@wakko.gil.net, chat@freebsd.org, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cursing the sky (was: Commerical applications ...)

 >> No perl?  I like it but I admit it's too fat :-) (my second favourite
 >> is C/Tk).
 > Well, I hate to admit that BSDI went the perl route and so far they
 > seem to really like it.  They did, somehow, manage to get a kernel and
 > a single perl interpreter onto an installation floppy but damned if I
 > know how they did it.  Perhaps they're using a specially hacked and
 > trimmed down version of perl, something which would be pretty evil
 > for us but is a *possibility* I suppose. :-)

Although this is an HP9000 running an unknown version of perl:

kropotkin$ ls -al perl
-rwxrwxr-x   1 joelh    staff      630784 Jan 22 19:04 perl
kropotkin$ gzexe perl
perl:			 64.5%
kropotkin$ ls -al perl
-rwxrwxr-x   1 joelh    staff      223980 Jan 22 19:05 perl

 > version which supports dynamic loading of modules is already in our
 > tree.  To get that with PERL we'd have to import perl5 instead of
 > perl4, and that's a political battle which I don't care to fight at
 > this time at all. :-)

Sorry, not with you.  What are the issues?

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped