Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:54:19 -0800
From:      John Andersen <jsa@pen.homeip.net>
To:        limdorj@singnet.com.sg, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with hostname

On Sunday 21 April 2002 06:28 am, Zhifu wrote:
> Hi, I am a newbie. I am puzzled on how to configure a hostname to the
> dynamic IP that I am assigned to in the network. I intend to use the BSD
> box as a FTP server. I am using FreeBSD 4.4 Stable.

Go here: http://www.dyndns.org/
Sign up for a resolvable name using one of the many domains they
offer.
Use that name as your FQDN of your freebsd box.
Go to the clients section of that web site and download and
make ez-ipupdate and compile it.  Works well with freebsd.

Each time you dynamically assigned ip changes, the tiny client
updates the dns servers ad dyndns.org and you have a
resolvable host name with a dynamic ip.

Its really nice for home machines where buying a static
is not cost justified.