Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:08:39 -0400
From:      Randy Porter <rporter@jnpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CDROM devices appearing twice as /dev/cd0a and /dev/cd0c

I am setting up a FreeBSD 2.2.8 server to act as both a gateway and as a
CDROM server using SAMBA to share CDs and file space for Windoze
workstations.

I have 5 NEC SCSI CD drives connected to an Adaptec 1522 controller.
The device IDs are from 1 to 6, the card is 7, and the chain is
terminated.  They are all functioning correctly using DOS.

I ran MAKEDEV for the additional 4 CD drives, and I now have devices for
all five CDs, but it seems like they all appear twice, as both a cdXa
and cdXc.

I can mount CDs using either the cdXa or cdXc, and there appears to be
no difference between them.

I searched the web pages for cd0a and cd0c with no success.

Is this normal?  If so, is there a difference between the devices?

If it is not normal, any ideas about what could be causing it?

Thanks.

p.s.  If the answer is RTFM, please let me know what chapter or man page
I should be looking for.

--
Randy Porter
rporter@jnpcs.com