Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 15:05:54 -0500
From:      Andy Oram <andyo@ora.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        platforms@FreeBSD.org, carr_richard@tandem.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody

I don't think it's fair to say we've "turned our back," but we're not
guarding UNIX with an ever-turning sword either.  To be less abstract about
it, we're doing fewer books about UNIX and more books about NT and
cross-platform stuff (Web, Java) than we did several years ago.  That's
partly because the industry is (unfortunately) moving away from UNIX, and
partly because we've done a good job on UNIX and there aren't as many new
topics there as before.

I don't mind at all people knowing that we're doing other books, but please,
we don't plan to abandon UNIX at all.  I'm doing your debugging book, after
all. I'm working on another couple Linux books, and I'm considering a couple
other projects in the UNIX arena.  But I don't expect to get huge returns
for doing these things.  Our

The virtual memory idea does sound too academic and not practical enough for
our series.

UNIX is one thing, BSD is another.  I'm personally not sure how much we
should have supported BSD.  The message I kept getting from my superiors
here (as you proposed various projects) was that BSD was no longer a big
enough market.  The suddenly our German subsidiary decided to publish a
BSD-specific book.  I think my managers were disappointed at poor sales of
the official BSD4.4 manual set; they didn't realize we might have been able
to make a god product with something that was our own material.

Andy