Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:42:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   'tip printer' Just Sits There

I was following the instructions in the handbook for setting up my
printer. I have an Apple Laserwriter II NTX connect via serial port to
COM2.

As root:

I tried the following in '/etc/remote' with 'tip printer' to no avail.

	printer:dv=/dev/ttyd1:br#9600:pa=none

So according to the instructions I moved on. I have the following in
'/etc/remote'

	printer:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#9600:pa=none

Then I do this and get the output.

	root@s8-37-26# tip printer
	connected

My prompt vanishes and I cannot give input. I cannot even issue CTRL-D to
exit the shell. Since, things aren't going according to the instructions,
I am at a loss.

Just on a hunch I tried 'tip printer' as a user with this output.

	jason@s8-37-26$ tip printer
	uu_lock: creat error: Permission denied
	all ports busy

Permission denied makes sense to me. Why would I get all ports busy if I
never had permission to access the port in the first place?

What do I need to do to fix/troubleshoot my printer connection woes? Am I
missing something fundamental regarding serial connections?

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/