Date:      18 Jul 2003 18:50:42 -0700
From:      LLeweLLyn Reese <llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com>
To:        Peter Kadau <peter.kadau@tuebingen.mpg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc-3.3 issues

Peter Kadau <peter.kadau@tuebingen.mpg.de> writes:

> Hi !
>
> > Then configure runs gcc with wrong parameters. In GCC 3.3 -pedantic implies
> > -pedantic-error, unless -fpermissive is specified too.
>
> ??? The info page doesn't say so.
> If one can't trust the GNU info pages - what a mess,
> considered that they refuse to maintain proper manpages either...
> Confused. Please enlighten me.

You can look at the online docs:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning%20Options

and search for -pendantic for the general description, and:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3/gcc/C---Dialect-Options.html#C++%20Dialect%20Options

and search for permissive, to see the condition Alexander speaks of.

(I'm new to FreeBSD, but I get the impression the FreeBSD gcc33 port
    changes a few gcc behaviors. So those docs won't be perfect. But
    they aren't in the first place, and are better than nothing until
    some does the hard work merging in documentation files.)