Date:               Tue, 4 Apr 1995 09:27:22 EST5EDT
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        davidk@ee.ubc.ca (david kwan)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: Future Domain SCSI driver under FreeBSD

> From:           davidk@ee.ubc.ca (david kwan)
> Subject:        Future Domain SCSI driver under FreeBSD
> To:             questions@freebsd.org
> Date sent:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 04:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi everyone,
>
> I read in the FreeBSD FAQ that Future Domain SCSI cards
> (TMC950 based) are supported by FreeBSD.  However upon
> boot-up the card is not probed.  Does FreeBSD *really*
> support these cards?  I can't find any mention of it in
> LINT.  If the card is supported, what IO addr and IRQ
> line must it be set to?
>
> Thanks for your mailbox space!
>
> --
> David Kwan                             Email: davidk@ee.ubc.ca
> Graduate Studies (M.A.Sc Program)      Electrical Engineering
> The University of British Columbia     Vancouver B.C. Canada

David,

I cannot speak for the FreeBSD design team, but from my personal
experience, the kernel only supports 850/950 based cards.  Apparently, the
chip on this card is quite similar to the seagate ST-01 chip, and as such
the same driver works for both.
I have done some work (not FreeBSD related) with the ST01, and I can tell
you that it is a memory mapped only device.

Make sure that you have included the sea0 driver in your kernel, and that
the memory window, and IRQ settings match your card's settings.  Boot
with the -c option so that you can adjust these as necessary.  The driver
only knows about certain ROM versions of the future domain card.  If you
look in sea.c you will see the strings that it tries to match.  If your
card has a different ROM version, you might want to try hacking the
sea.c driver so that it knows about it.

Good Luck!

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com