Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:39:28 -0000
From:      "Clive Jones" <clive@dgw.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5 iijppp problem (automatic mode)

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a Gateway 2000 486sx33 machine, connecting via
PPP to a Pipex caller account in the UK via 28k8 modem.

I have an iijppp configuration that works consistently well if I connect and
disconnect using the 'dial' and 'close' commands. However, if I then try to
use the automatic mode with an equivalent configuration, the ppp process
sometimes (but not always) core dumps about two seconds after the IP layer
comes up. I've tried enabling full logging, and this shows up nothing untoward
in the traffic over the link at any point before the disaster. I've also tried
recompiling ppp with '-g -O0' and gdb-ing the output, but whatever went wrong
broke things so badly that gdb couldn't give me a backtrace.

This looks to me like a memory allocation/stray pointer problem that would be
extremely hard for me to diagnose myself.

Is this a known problem? Are there any known fixes? I assume I'm not the only
person who wants to use the automatic mode, and that others have it working
fine.

Thanks for any help,

--Clive.