Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:28:18 -0500
From:      Chris Williams <psion@geekspace.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Instability after buildworld

I just cvsuped the latest 3.1-stable sources and left a make -j4
buildworld running overnight on a box running 3.?-stable, upgraded from
2.2.8 (aout-to-elf) somewhere between when 3.0 went stable and
3.1-RELEASE was available..When I came in this morning, the box had
become unstable, everything started exiting on signal 11 (first a bunch
of my xterms, then inetd, finally getty, at which point I had to power
down the box 'cause I couldn't log in)..
This seems strange when all I did was build the world, not install
it..I'm installing now, I guess we'll see what happens.

Any clues?

I've been tracking FreeBSD-stable with 1-3 machines on and off for 2
years now, and this the first time I've ever had one go wonky on me like
that..