Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:36:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jerry Sloan <freebird@on-net.net>
Cc:        robert@chalmers.com.au, freebsd <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Next Question. Which is better. 64K ISDN, or 56K/33.6 POTS ?

On Thursday, 28 January 1999 at 18:29:35 -0500, Jerry Sloan wrote:
> ISDN is much better than a pots connection. It is cleaner,faster and you
> dont get dropped because of line noise. I don't know what you would have to
> pay for an ISDN line from your telco or what you would have to pay for
> internet access, but for me it is money well spent.

That depends on how much money it is :-)

> I have a 128k connection, I have a LAN at home and run FreeBSD as a
> webserver and it rocks. Depending on what you pay 56k is a crap
> shoot because all conditions have to be right to connect at speeds
> above 33.6 or 28.8 but with ISDN you are guaranteed 64 per channel.

That's correct, but in this case an analogue connection costs $0.18 a
call of unlimited duration, whereas an ISDN connection costs money
based on the duration.  The last time I looked, Telstra (our national
Telco) did not divulge the method used for calculating ISDN charges
(how's that for encouraging you to take it), but it looks like a
full-time connection will cost several hundred dollars per month.  On
top of that, despite my remote location I've seen speeds over the
modem line that I've never seen over ISDN.  This is because of the
compression issue I mentioned in an earlier message: the ISDN software
I was using didn't do compression.

Greg