Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 08:27:47 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <200005241446.IAA05589@berserker.bsdi.com> Chuck Paterson writes:
> : 	Once FreeBSD has a preemptive kernel FreeBSD will only run on
> : 	Pentium or better X86 processors.
>
> This is likely unacceptible in the embedded market.  We're using
> boards with a UP 486 133's on them (actually AMDs, but you get the
> idea).  We need some way to build kernels for these boxes.  It sure
> would be nice, but isn't required, to have the same kernel for pentium
> UP machines.

While I think we need to be able to support 386 and 486 still, I'm moderately
sure that we could get away with de-supporting those in GENERIC for 5.0+,
assuming that it buys us something.

I would not have too much trouble with a proposal that a I386_CPU and
maybe I486_CPU becoming mutually exclusive with the 586+ stuff.  ie: if you
will still be able to build a kernel specifically to run on a 486, but by
default it would not fly.

I think 586+ is a convenient boundary because I am not aware of many 586's
that don't have PNPBIOS support, while 486's are mixed as they predate win95
by a fair way.

Aiming for a default fresh-install target (remember, 5.0 is 6-12 months
away) where we require minimum 586+ and PNPBIOS etc etc would simplify
things a fair bit..  In such a scenario it should still be possible to
build a kernel to specifically support an i486 on a non-PNP isa-only system
without PCI etc.  I have a 486 still running and would hate to loose it for
sentimental reasons, but I do custom builds for it anyway.  I strongly doubt
that there will be many *fresh* 486 installs, if any at all.

But that is changing the subject. :-)

> I would have no problem saying SMP is only supported on Pentiums or
> newer.

I don't think we support 486 SMP right now, but I could be wrong.

> Warner

Cheers,
-Peter