Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:58:14 -0600
From:      "J. Chancey" <jerrjam@orbitworld.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP Filter/IPNAT

I am a FreeBSD newbie (Windows background) attempting to use Release 4.2 as
a home firewall.  I have been collecting information about IP Filter and
NATD and have become very confused.  What is the relationship between the IP
addresses in the firewall ruleset and NATD?  I would have thought that
packets from the external network (Internet) would be translated, then the
firewall ruleset would be applied.  Packets from the internal network would
be filtered by the firewall ruleset, then translated.  In this manner the
firewall ruleset would have rules containing the INTERNAL network IP
addresses (among other addresses).  However, reading NATD(8) I find the
following:

" After translation by natd, packets re-enter the firewall at the rule
number following the rule number that caused the diversion (not the next
rule if there are several at the same number)."

What??  When did the packets leave the firewall rules to go to natd?  How
does this affect the firewall rules?  Could you please help me understand
the relationship among natd and IP Filter and the IP addresses used in the
firewall rules?

Jerry Chancey