Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 01:17:27 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Robert Chalmers" <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsup, 4-release to 4-stable. The readme file

> The README file in /usr/share/examples/cvsup lists exapmples for
> both RELEASE and for STABLE.
> Does this mean that if I have 4-RELEASE installed, that trying
> to cvsup 4-STABLE over it is bound to fail?

No, and I don't see anything that would have led to that conclusion.

You should encounter no problems using cvsup to obtain the sources for
4-stable using your 4-release machine.

In general, it's a good idea to keep the sources on your machine the same
version as the installed binaries.

Realize the consequences of having source that is newer than the installed
binaries.  If you need to reconfigure your kernel, you will need to 1)
re-cvsup (or install from CD) the 4-RELEASE sources so that your kernel
version matches the version of the FreeBSD binaries installed, or 2) do a
complete buildworld / installworld / buildkernel / installkernel operation
to upgrade your system from 4-REL to 4-STABLE.

--
Matt Emmerton