Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:08:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firebird, java, artsd, sound

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, John Nielsen wrote:

> The problem I'm seeing is that when a java applet uses sound, and another
> application tries to use sound, the applet crashes, soon followed by the
> browser.  Once the browser exits, the sound in the other application will
> play.  I am using KDE as my desktop, so I assume that this has something to
> do with artsd.  The other application in question that makes sounds in
> kmess, which I use as an MSN Messenger clone.
>
> I don't know if this is a configuration issue or a bug, and if it's a bug I
> don't know what program the bug is in.  So I'm hoping someone can shed some
> light on the situation--ideally one that leads to a solution.  Any takers?

There's probably contention over the sound devices. Have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
section 16.2.3 - maybe you can get the various subsystems using
different virtual sound devices?

You see what happens when you have fun with a stranger in the Alps?