Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ted Wisniewski <ted@wiz.plymouth.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS: nfs_fsync: not dirty

Hello,

	I have been having an occasional NFS problem that causes a Panic,
I have looked through the NFS code and have come to the point at which it
panics.  It is in "nfs_vnops.c" where it says "nfs_fsync: not dirty".  I am
not familiar with the NFS code enough to speculate how it actually gets
to that point (what conditions might cause it to be called):

	if ((bp->b_flags & B_DELWRI) == 0)
                        panic("nfs_fsync: not dirty");

Any advice on how to resolve this issue is very welcome.  I am using NFSV2
because NFSV3 at the time we set this up was not stable enough.   Has NFSv3
improved enough yet?

Thanks.

	Ted

Pertinent info:

FreeBSD its2.plymouth.edu 3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #0: Sun Sep 26 08:08:30 EDT 1999     ted@its2.plymouth.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/ITS-SMP  i386

NFS comes from a Network Appliance filer, with FreeBSD as the client.

Items from "/etc/fstab" (the reason so many from the same filer is the quota
trees):

disk:/students/u        /u              nfs     rw,nfsv2,-r=1024,-w=1024   0  0
disk:/students/u1       /u1             nfs     rw,nfsv2,-r=1024,-w=1024   0  0
disk:/students/em       /em             nfs     rw,nfsv2,-r=1024,-w=1024   0  0
disk:/facstaff          /facstaff       nfs     rw,nfsv2,-r=1024,-w=1024   0  0
disk:/fileserv          /fileserv       nfs     rw,nfsv2,-r=1024,-w=1024   0  0

|   Ted Wisniewski    		     INET:  ted@oz.plymouth.edu          |
|   Computer Services                       ted@wiz.plymouth.edu         |
|   Plymouth State College                  tedw@tigger.plymouth.edu     |
|   Plymouth NH, 03264               HTTP:  http://oz.plymouth.edu/~ted/ |