Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 06:36:07 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp crashed with SIG 10.

This looks like the results of using -O with -g... gdb has probably =

optimised out some of the variables.

Maybe ``p handler[0]@NSIG'' would be interesting, or maybe sig really =

is corrupt...  You could try log_Printf()ing it in the source to find =

out.

The compiler flags look ok :-/

Does this happen immediately or does there seem to be any pattern to =

when it happens ?

> Now one more interesting SIG 10:
> =

> # gdb ppp /ppp2.core
> GNU gdb 4.18
> [..]
> #0  0x809c162 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x809c162 in ?? ()
> #1  0x806c13c in sig_Handle () at sig.c:101
> #2  0x80656a2 in DoLoop (bundle=3D0x8080070) at main.c:532
> #3  0x8065399 in main (argc=3D3, argv=3D0xbfbfde10) at main.c:448
> #4  0x804ac59 in _start ()
> (gdb) up
> #1  0x806c13c in sig_Handle () at sig.c:101
> 101               (*handler[sig])(sig + 1);
> (gdb) display sig
> (gdb) display
> 1: sig =3D 134852656
> But I really dont understand how it could happen (NSIG=3D32 8o)
> (gdb) list
> 96            for (sig =3D 0; sig < NSIG; sig++)
> 97              if (caused[sig]) {
> 98                caused[sig]--;
> 99                got++;
> 100               result++;
> 101               (*handler[sig])(sig + 1);
> 102             }
> 103         } while (got);
> 104       }
> 105
> (gdb) output got
> 134857104           # Woops !!!!
> (gdb) output result
> 1                           # Only reasonable value
> (gdb) output caused[sig]
> Cannot access memory at address 0x282ffce0.   # Of course :)
> (gdb)
> Can it be  any compiler's flags problem? Final line of make is:
> cc -O -pipe -Wall -DHAVE_DES -I. -I../libhack    -o ppp acf.o arp.o asy=
nc.o
> auth.o bundle.o cbcp.o ccp.o chap.o chat.o command.o datalink.o deflate=
=2Eo
> defs.o exec.o filter.o fsm.o hdlc.o id.o iface.o ip.o ipcp.o iplist.o l=
cp.o
> link.o log.o lqr.o main.o mbuf.o mp.o pap.o physical.o pred.o probe.o
> prompt.o proto.o route.o server.o sig.o slcompress.o sync.o systems.o t=
cp.o
> throughput.o timer.o tty.o tun.o udp.o vjcomp.o alias_cmd.o chap_ms.o
> radius.o uucplock.o  -lcrypt -lmd -lutil -lz -L../libhack -lalias -ldes=

> -lradius
> making objfiles is similar.
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD hostname 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #3: Tue Aug 31 13:52:41 =
EEST
> 1999     root@hostname:/usr/3.2/src/sys/compile/GATE  i386
> # cc -v
> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> #
> Or I missunderstand smth?
> =

> To Mr. Sommers - excuse me my bad manner :| I hope I'm giving U enough =
info?
> Brian Somers wrote:
> =

> > > Hello, everybody,
> > > on dialup server  ppp sometimes crashed with signal 10.
> > > backtrace shows:
> > > # gdb ppp3 ppp3.core
> > > GNU gdb 4.18
> > > Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, an=
d you
> > > are
> > > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > > conditions.
> > > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> > > details.
> > > This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
> > > (no debugging symbols found)...
> > > Core was generated by `ppp3'.
> > > Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
> > > #0  0x809c162 in ?? ()
> > > (gdb) backtrace
> > > #0  0x809c162 in ?? ()
> > > #1  0x806bf80 in getsockname ()
> > > #2  0x80654e6 in getsockname ()
> > > #3  0x80651dd in getsockname ()
> > > #4  0x804ab1d in getsockname ()
> > > (gdb)
> > >
> > > Only place where ppp calls  getsockname is server.c (TCP interface =
> > > ppp?).
> > > Does anyone expirience this behavour? Some clue?
> >
> > <rant>
> > I don't understand people that do this....  How about putting debug
> > symbols in ppp, or at least saying things like ``I have the default
> > /etc/sevices'' so that people don't have to ask the same questions
> > that I did.
> >
> > I'd consider exchanging several messages with someone and then
> > stopping the conversation and posting the original mail somewhere
> > else to be the height of bad manners.
> > </rant>
> >
> =

> --
> WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
> prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
> system administrator             virtual money =F6%-)
> +380442448363

-- =

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>