Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 19:32:04 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@fusion.unixfreak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall + natd, what am I doing wrong?

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 06:49:10PM -0400, Generic Player wrote:
> > Also, give us a list of "ipfw show".
>
> Ah ha.  I am new to BSD and Unix in general, so I didn't know of that
> command.  Having read the output from it I found and fixed the problem,
> stupid as it was.  I just added my changes to the part of the file where it
> starts listing rules, some of the rules after that altered the ones I had
> in.  But, I have a new problem, sorta.  When I boot up, it sits there trying
> to start sendmail, and can't do it because it hasn't started natd yet, and
> so has no internet access.  Any idea what I have to change to fix that?

sendmail(8) gets started after natd(8) in the standard boot
sequence. Have you made changes to any rc-files besides rc.conf?

One thing I noticed in your first mail, do you have the lines,

  natd_enable="YES"               # Enable natd (if firewall_enable == YES)
  natd_interface="ed0"            # Public interface or IPaddress to use

In /etc/rc.conf to get natd to start at boot?