Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:35:57 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possibly missing run dependencies with TightVNC's vncserver

Hi,

I've just built net/tightvnc from the Ports tree on a headless machine
running FreeBSD 6.3.  Prior to installing tightvnc, the machine had no
xorg apps or xorg libraries installed.

My initial problem was that when I run vncserver, I got errors in
$HOME/.vnc/$HOST:1.log telling me that the programs listed in
$HOME/.vnc/xstartup are missing (xrdb, xsetroot, xterm and twm).  I've
since installed all of those from Ports, but have encountered another
hurdle:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb'
xsetroot:  unknown color "grey"
twm:  invalid color name "black"
twm:  invalid color name "white"

I've since learned that the x11/rgb port installs
/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb.txt, but not /usr/local/lib/X11/rgb, but I
guess I'm on the right track.  After doing a bit more Googling I'm
beginning to think /etc/X11/xorg.conf is used to configure the xorg
backend, which vncserver relies on, but I don't have an xorg.conf on
that machine, presumably because some crucial parts of xorg are still
missing - or I'm meant to configure xorg somehow before running
vncserver.

I get the feeling that I'm doing this all backwards, and that I'm
supposed to install more of xorg before I install net/tightvnc.
Ideally the tightvnc port should've done that prior, though.

Anyway, maybe someone could give me some hints on what I should be
doing in this particular situation.

Thanks,

Regards
Andrew