Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:42:16 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        skalir scalar <skalir@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial cable login

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> I'm not sure if we are all talking about the same thing. The original
> poster just wanted to, "login over a serial cable from one machine to
> another." He was not talking about getting console output to this
> connection, he just wanted a live tty on a machine that I presume was
> already up.

	I thought that a private response someone sent to me went out to the
list. I _am_ talking about getting a tty on a serial port. Here is part
of my response to that other post:

> You might also need to set the clocal flag on the relevant serial
> port, see /etc/rc.serial for some examples.

        Yes, I suspect that you are correct that this is what the serial
console is doing that makes the tty work, I just haven't had a chance to
test it out. There is some more information about those settings at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/serialcomms.html as well.

Doug