Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 13:53:57 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Mike Jackson <mjj@pp.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hp omnibook 6000

--==_Exmh_-1716770906P

> Hi,
>  Does anyone here besides myself run FreeBSD 4.5 or later on an HP
> OmniBook 6000?

Errm. Running 4.5-RC2 (with the original XFree 4.2 port) right now.

Probably good enough for your purposes.

> Are there any good websites with details and experiences
> from other users?
>
>  Specifically, I need help or advice with:
>
>  - full screen console mode

You mean you want the console to fill the LCD screen to the edges, rather than
being a little window with text in it? That's a BIOS option - I forget which
one, but it's reasonably obvious. Nothing else will effect the size of the
text in the console, AFAIK.

Personally, I run with the "small text", because it's crisp at the "native"
resolution - when expanded to fill the LCD, it's kinda fuzzy. YMMV.

There's no decent VESA modes in the BIOS, so you can't do (e.g.) 132x60 or
anything. If you find a way, let me know!! :)

>  - APM

/etc/rc.conf:

apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"

and:

device          apm0    at nexus?

in your kernel config file.

This will make suspend-to-ram work (e.g. lid closing, blue button). Sometimes
on resume, the display is dim and flickering. Using either Fn-F1 or Fn-F2 to
adjust the brightness will immediately brighten the display (even if Fn-F1,
which is supposed to dim the display) and stop it flickering.

For BIOS-level suspend-to-disk (e.g. Fn-F12), you'll need a suspend partition.
I have:

Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 160,(Suspend to Disk)
    start 63, size 1103697 (538 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 72/ head 239/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1103760, size 37966320 (18538 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 73/ head 0/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 239/ sector 63
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

This doesn't work so well all the time, except as an emergency measure (like
when you leave your laptop running unattended and the BIOS does it
automatically). X is likely to crash/hang (you can generally get to the text
consoles and shutdown cleanly).

I find that suspend to ram takes about 15% battery overnight, machine shuts
down on ~15%.

O yeah, and 'reboot' stopped working some time ago with other improvements.
Use 'shutdown -p' to power off and cycle the power manually.

>  - sound

Put:

snd_maestro3_load="YES"

In /boot/loader.conf.

If you have lots of static on the sound output (especially when moving the
mouse), try turning the 'PC Speaker' down in the mixer. I love wmixer and it's
OSD, but it doesn't seem to save my settings...

Also, I found that I needed to lie about the FP timings to get XGA resolution
in X11. This has worked for me for over a year (but I won't replace your FP if
it kills it ;-):

# Any number of monitor sections may be present
Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "Hitachi TX36D81VC1CAC"
    #HorizSync   31.5 - 48.5
    HorizSync   15-80
    VertRefresh 23-90

>  I have tried, to no avail, to get full screen and APM working by
> recompiling the kernel and enabling settings in startup files. Please
> let me know if you have these things working and how you did it :)

The above Works For Me (TM).

HTH.

AS

--==_Exmh_-1716770906P