Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:23:59 -0800
From:      Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Creative Extigy with FreeBSD 4.9?

I've got a 4.9 machine which I'd like to interface to my Creative Extigy
external amp for playing MP3s and the like.  For obvious reasons, I'd
like to have that connection be digital. After some research, it looks
like there are two choices:

(1) SPDIF
I've got an Asus P4C-800E mainboard with a built-in interface
that dmesg reports as:

pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xee80-0xeebf,0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xfebff400-0xf
ebff4ff,0xfebff800-0xfebff9ff irq 5 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1985 AC97 Codec>

The card has an SPDIF output, but I'm not sure how to get mplayer
(or anything else) to actually use it. I've installed mplayer out
of ports and from reading the not very clear documentation, it
looks like "-ac hwac3" should do the trick, but what I get when
I try that is:

Forced audio codec: hwac3
*** Try to upgrade /users/ekr/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x55.

(2) USB
The Extigy has a USB plug in the front so I would think I could
use uaudio, but it's even more unclear to me how that works.
When I plugged it in, nothing interesting happened (i.e. nothing
on the console or syslog suggesting that it even saw the device).
usbd is running.

Any suggestions here would be great!

Thanks,
-Ekr