Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2018 10:25:21 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: option sort order in usage/man pages/documentation

--bppRONjffFAGcZPZqO3cnpBdgXmW0LnEM
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org

--qSoA2YSHgUZfS6LROsA1Rl57JijeQ6DWB

On 2018-08-30 03:50, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm working on some man page updates, and, thinking about consistency,
> been wondering if there's any policy set on the order of options that
> one should use in usage messages/man pages/other documentation, i.e. is=

> it 'ABCabc', 'AaBbCc', or 'aAbBcC' (or anything else really, I hope
> 'unsorted' isn't possible answer here).

It has definitely been policy to sort them alphabetically, but I don't
know that that much attention has ever been paid to sorting upper and
lower case characters.

ABCabc is right out, but I don't know what the right answer is between
the other two. I would say humans sort lowercase first, but by ASCII the
uppercase is first.

--=20
Allan Jude