Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:03:49 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Notebook recommendation

Jose Gabriel Marcelino stated:
:
: Hi,
:
: I'm planning to buy a notebook and I want to run FreeBSD on it, of course.
:
: My main requirements are:
:
: - It has to be lightweight < 2.5Kg ( < 5.5 lbs)
: - Battery should last at the very least 2+ hours.
: - 1024x768 resolution
: - Compatibility with the Cisco Aironet 340 cards I already ordered
: (shoulnd't be too difficult, just requires a PC Card slot).
: - Maximum compatility with FreeBSD.
:
: After drooling a bit over the Sony Vaios, I have found their price tags to
: put them too low on the bang for the buck ratio, and I don't need the
: FireWire or memory card ports.
:
: I've now found the Asus model M8320 notebook to fit the requirements
: nicely, but I would like to hear some more opinions.
:
: This machine has a Silicon Motion 710 graphic chip, which seems to be
: supported in (only) XFree86 3.6 (ie, no 4.0 support yet). It's a 2D only
: chip but that's ok for my needs.
:
: For sound it has the Intel 440MX chipset as it's AC'97 controller, so it
: should be supported in a (future?) i8xx driver, it's already fully
: supported in Linux so I guess it's just a question of time (or maybe some
: work from me :) to have it working in FreeBSD.
:
: It also seems to have an Intel 82559 Ethernet controller which is nice and
: a Lucent 1641 DSP as a modem chip which already has some Linux support
: (and even a binary modem Linux kernel module from Lucent itself). This
: comes out by a combo network/phone line RJ-45 jack which makes me a little
: afraid of how one changes it's mode.
:
: I also like the fact that it has a removable CD-Rom drive as it seems to
: make the airplane companies happier.
:
: Does anyone have one of this machines? How does it work under FreeBSD? I
: would appreciate your comments very much.

I just ordered an Acer 600TER for a user .. not here yet as we had
to go with purchase order :(  The machine is under 5.5 or right about
there with 600 MHz PIII, 13.3" XGA screen, built-in Intel enet, cd-rw
(a nifty feature) with 64MB of RAM for under $2200.00.  Also, it has
an ESS Solo PCI (pcm support in -current which probably pretty easy to
MFC).  This is all from the PDF spec sheet the url below isn't quite
as detailed.

http://www.acer.com/aac/products/notebook/tm600/index.htm

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU