Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:56:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.1.1

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> As far as I know there are no *security* reasons to switch to 8.1.1 -
> the security fixes that are in 8.1.1 are also in 4.9.6. If you switch
> to 8.1.1 you're most likely doing it in order to use some of the new
> functionality in 8.1.1 - but the people who need the new features are
> going to have to tweak the named.conf file anyway.

If there's no secuity implications then there's no rush, true, and if
no-one else is sending it out by default again, there's no rush.

But when will it be the default? If there's no bugs (well, no serious ones
that have been found) then why delay ?

I suppose when it's fully tested, but this is a lot of testing, certainly
more than some of the things that might have gone into 2.2.5-RELEASE, like
the appletalk stack for example, although that might have been tested a
lot, I'm assuming that's not the case.

[Not to slight 2.2.5, which IMHO in all other respects is good.]

	Steve.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/