Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:07:28 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@fer.hr>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Bjoern A.Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VIMAGE UDP memory leak fix

On 21 Nov 2014, at 09:05, Robert N. M. Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG> =
wrote:

> To my mind, the only real concern is whether or not you lose access to =
resource allocation limits that would previously have been present. On =
the whole, we've tried to centralise resource limitations on kernel =
memory allocation in UMA, and it would be great if we could find a nice =
approach to implementing both per-vimage and per-system allocation =
limits. One thing I'd pondered in the past was whether we could move to =
a single zone, with its own limits/etc, but also the ability to pass an =
optional uma_resourcepool_t that allowed additional limits to be imposed =
based on some other criteria -- e.g., vimage membership. That strikes me =
as a somewhat complex proposal that would bring new =
performance/synchronisation concerns, so isn't necessarily something to =
act on. However, the upshot is that, although I do not oppose combining =
the zones, we should be aware that we're eliminating a form of resource =
partitioning between vimages that we may want to find some other =
solution for (ideally, an elegant one).

And, to respond to your more general comment: I agree that a decision =
about removing the NOFREE flag should be made independently of choices =
about devirtualisation. The former probably should be sorted out at this =
point, as eliminating NOFREE zones has more general benefits to the =
kernel, but it would be nice not to depend on that to resolve other =
problems. It could be that a few of us scratching our heads for a few =
hours each can resolve whether NOFREE can now be safely removed, in =
which case we should do so (and then allow quite a lot of baking time =
before it ships in a release).

Robert=