Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:21:43 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
Cc:        Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>
Subject:   Re: failed php4 install...can't figure this one out

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:20:51 +0100
Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:22:38 -0700
> > Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello everyone.
> >>
> >>I'm trying to setup a web server that will be running PHP, Apache
> >and >mysql. The system will be running FreeBSD 4.9.
> >>The system was going to be setup to run the following program:
> >>
> >>http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net/
> >

> > Unrelevant.
>
> You mean 'irrelevant'.

Thanks. English is not my native language and I've made a wrong
translation: "nerelevant", I've translated "ne" to "un"; sorry.

> Just thought I'd point out that you're coming across as aggressive
> and arrogant here. Not sure you're aware of it.

No, thank you, I didn't intended to sound that way. Jason, Dick and
everyone else, please excuse me if that is what it look like.

> The OP is using a recent copy of ports

Yes and no. The last commit on that Makefile was 13 days ago.

> and a dependency is missing, apparently. He needs a fix, and
> installing jpeg will help him.

Yes, as I've said in my other mail that advice is a good one.

> That's all he really needs to know, it  might be worth someone asking
> for more specifics later to check what went wrong (the version of the
> port Makefile would seem sensible in this case).

I don't think so. That piece of the Makefile was last changed over 5
weeks ago, for xpm path.

> >>I scanned through the config.log but did not see anything that stood
> >out at me.
>
> > We didn't see your config.log, you know.
>
> If you wanted to see it you could ask.
> In this case it's fairly obvious from the original post what the
> problem is,

Yes - a dependency problem.

> and I'd personally rather not have a kernel config posted everytime
> someone wants to know how to change their prompt.

But since is php is widely used, I've just installed it, and the last commit
was 13 days ago, this time the config.log (actually the hole make ...
output) *is* relevant.

Just for test I've did:

pkg_deinstall -f jpeg-6b_2
portupgrade -fwO php4-4.3.6

and it pulled out jpeg as it is supposed to do.

If it doesn't work for the OP then 99% either his is doing something
wrong or he has something wrong on his system. And I can not help
without seeing what is going on.

> > http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>
> Read it before.

I did,  I like it.

> I wouldn't take this as a guideline on how to treat
> newbies, or any other human beings.

I think it is a very good advice on how to post on this kind of list.

> This is supposed to be a help forum, save the attitude for
> the advocacy lists....

And I thought that list is supposed to get people to FreeBSD :-)

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"