Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:42:23 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Thomas Lau" <lkthomas@hkicable.com>, "'Linh Pham'" <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: why BSDi not Free but FreeBSD ?

A while ago, BSDi was "commercially supported" and FreeBSD
was not.  In short, you could buy a support contract for
BSDi but not for FreeBSD.  Thus, companies like Microsoft
who were basically afraid of UNIX would only buy BSDi because
they could then purchase support contracts for it.

Today, BSDi offers support contracts for both their commercial
BSD and FreeBSD.  Also, they announced over a year ago that
the commercial BSD was going to eventually switch over to using
the FreeBSD kernel.  So, from a support standpoint, the two
OS's are the same.

From a technical standpoint, though, they _have_ travelled on
separate release trees.  Not having a copy of it myself I
don't know how divergent they are and how difficult a project
it is to get them to use the same source tree.