Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:30:16 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ripping a CD to .mp3???

"Rip CDs", I thought.  "What a nice, short article that would be.  My
brother-in-law can rip CDs without using his second brain cell.  How
hard could it be?"  Well, my notes alone are almost four thousand
words, and I still have nothing resembling success.

The current incarnation of my attempt is using grip, dagrab, and lame.
dagrab pulls a track off of my CD just fine, but stores it in my home
directory.  It appears that grip directs lame to the wrong place to
pull it from.

Does anyone have this combination working -- or, indeed, any
combination of tools working?  Could you send me the command-line
options you need to make this happen?  I'll be happy to credit helpful
folks when this article hits the Web.

I'd like a combination that does not require the reader to, say, hack
up a Perl script to make things work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael