Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 09:53:12 -0400
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mirroring servers

	HI all.  I've heard of this being done before but I wasn't sure
how.  Basically what I'm curious of is how to mirror two servers.  The
general idea of the two servers is to be exact copies of each other.  Both
will be hidden behind a redirector.  Both servers will perform file serving
and storage tasks and no matter which of the two servers you login to on
any given morning, or which of the two servers the redirector hands you off
to, each server should have an exact copy of what is on the other one, no
matter how many changes have been made on its twin.

	Now I've seen this done before and they evidently used file dates and
version numbers, or something plus some sort of changelog, kind of like
what's used on a database to track changes.  So then if something on one of
the servers is updated, the twin is immediately notified, and recieves the
changes accordingly.  But say for example someone edits a file on server A,
then not more than 5 seconds later, someone edits the same file on server
b.  Since that's the newer file now, the file on server b becomes the
dominant host file, and is immediately cloned to server A regardless of the
fact that the file on A has changed also.

	So, I hope this is enough of a description for you.  Can someone tell me
where or how I could find out about doing these?  I'm looking at possibly
having to implement this in the near future.  Our Noc is starting to have
growing pains.  =)  [drat, and just after I nicely got done
consolidating.  sheesh]