Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:00:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Fortin <jonf@revelex.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh?

<<On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:12:49 -0800, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> said:

> I think he wants to know why we use 'sh' instead of one
> of the more popular shells.

OK.  I've moved the thread to -questions where it would be more
appropriate.  Doc team: this should go in the FAQ.

The simple answer is: because POSIX says that there shall be such a
shell.

The more complicated answer: many people need to write shell scripts
which will be portable across many systems.  That's why POSIX
specifies the shell and utility commands in great detail.  Most
scripts are written in Bourne shell, and because several important
programming interfaces (make(1), system(3), popen(3), and analogues in
higher-level scripting languages like Perl and Tcl) are specified to
use the Bourne shell to interpret commands.  Because the Bourne shell
is so often and widely used, it is important for it to be quick to
start, be deterministic in its behavior, and have a small memory
footprint.

The existing implementation is our best effort at meeting as many of
these requirements simultaneously as we can.  In order to keep /bin/sh
small, we have not provided many of the convenience features that other
shells have.  That's why the Ports Collection includes more featureful
shells like bash, scsh, tcsh, and zsh.  (You can compare for yourself
the memory utilization of all these shells by looking at the `VSZ' and
`RSS' columns in a `ps -u' listing.)

-GAWollman