Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:20:47 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

On Saturday 19 March 2005 04:03 am, Christian Tischler wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at the, more or
> less, open  solutions. I never intended to use the MS exchange
> as my primary mail server. But its functionality for syncinig
> calenders, documents and so on, seemed to a "nice" "simple"
> way of dealing with my situation here. I have to admit, that I
> never used a windows server, and thought it should be fairly
> easy. Now by looking at your submissions, and the docs, which
> tend to give me headaches, I realize that an Free BSD solution
> must be found to get the job done.

Investigate Mozilla's Sunbird calendars running against a WEBDAV
module on Apache. This shares calendars quite nicely. It also
works with OSX on Macs. You can share documents with Samba or
with WEBDAV using something like "webdrive" which maps the
WEBDAV directory on the server to Windows drive letters.

Personally, I wouldn't wish Exchange on my worst enemy. It uses a
database to store mail and, if that database becomes corrupted,
you can lose all the email for the company. This will make you
extremely unpopular. We had it happen once and just moved
everyone over to Sendmail and never lost an email for 5 years
now. It also has no concept of how internet mail works. It
creates an environment where, if you are not running Outlook,
you are "outside the loop". It is its own world and not really
internet mail as we know it.

Also, you have to run it on  a Windows "server". which is not a
server at all, but a glorified 2000 box or XP box. Anything that
wants you to kick off all the users just because you installed a
new piece of software is a toy server. You don't want to deal
with that in a 24/7 world. There's never a time you can do that
unless you *like* coming in Sunday night at midnight!

-Jim