Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:57:51 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        phantomcircuit <phantomcircuit@covertinferno.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best way to install/update software and firewall choice

On 10/31/09, phantomcircuit <phantomcircuit@covertinferno.org> wrote:
> freebsd-update works fine in a jail so long as you symlink the kernel
> file to /dev/null

I've never needed to do that.  I run lots of jails and i just run
freebsd-update like normal. I don't install the kern sets in the jails
though, just base.

cat base.?? | tar -xzf - -C /jails/jail0.sample
## setup /etc/resolv.conf in the jail
## run freebsd-update from within the jail
## it patches and runs fine.
## this is not the documented way to do it, but I haven't yet had
problems with it.
## world for the jails will take about 128MB of disk space, any
services you add are on top of that.