Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 08:21:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg King <gking@c-com.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K & 2.2.1

On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 12:22:37PM -0600, Greg King wrote:
> I looked for info on the year 2000 bug and haven't found any via the
> search engine in your
> support area.
>
> The reason I ask is I think I found one in the DATE command for 2.2.1.
>
> The reason I say this is that it uses the YYMMDD format which means it
> will roll over to
>
> 000101  at the year 2k.

Correct.  What's the problem?

The year value represents the last two digits of a year between 1970
and 2038.  Why not try it?

# date 6811130711
date: nonexistent time
# date 7011130711
Fri Nov 13 07:11:00 CST 1970
# date 9911130711
Sat Nov 13 08:11:00 CST 1999
# date 0011130711
Mon Nov 13 07:11:00 CST 2000
# date 3711130711
Fri Nov 13 07:11:00 CST 2037
# date 3811130711
date: nonexistent time
# date 3801130711
Wed Jan 13 07:11:00 CST 2038
#

The reason January 2038 works, and November 2038 doesn't, is because
the time stamp wraps some time in 2038.  By then I'm sure we'll have
thought of a fix.

Greg