Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:41:09 GMT
From:      jbg@masterplan.org (Jason George)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall

He asked about a firewall, not a Squid proxy.

A 486 class box can act easily as a firewall between two ethernet
segments.  Been there.  Done that.

I even have 386s running as routers with basic packet filtering on high
speed DSL connections.  The smallest of which is a 386sx16 with 5M of
RAM and an 85M disk running at the end of a 2Mbit symmetrical DSL line.
It's never missed a beat and has been rebooted once in a 6 month time
frame.

PCI busses and bigger processors help when you have sustained
traffic routing through multiple segments and a lot of IPFW rules.

--Jason
j.b.george<at>ieee.org
jbg<at>masterplan.org