Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:03:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WTB: Pentium Pro 180

[Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>]
> > ever consider a new P5 would be to play with MMX.  Since P5 is near
>
> Which I'm still waiting to see a Unix application actually benefitting
> from. :)

MMX is as far as I can tell usable for two things:
Fast, simple graphics effects (Photoshop filters and effects in the
  demo scene)
Block copying (but I'm not certain this is faster than other types of
  block copy)

It can be used for very simple 3D routines; if you're doing advanced
things with your 3D (e.g, fractal mapping, good shading) you're out of
luck.  I was once on a game programming team spending two weeks trying
to find _any_ place we could benefit from MMX - we were unable to find
any.

Eivind.