Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:51:08 -0400
From:      Mike <ekkikrist@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Verizon Wireless PC5740 on FreeBSD?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:06:29PM -0700, YTResearch wrote:
> Has anyone been successful with using Verizon Wireless on FreeBSD. I
> have read where the PC5740 card has been successfully used on Linux
> claiming 160mbps with a ohci-hcd module. If that's true, I was
> thinking this should be possible on FreeBSD. I have a mix of Darwin
> and FreeBSD and it seems more likely that FreeBSD would be the better
> bet since the linux module might run as is. Hate to put the money out
> and find out differently. Has anyone tried this?

Hello,

I have not tried this on FreeBSD, but I have on Linux.

ochi-hcd is a linux kernel module for USB host so you can't "run"
it on FreeBSD.  The Verizon cards are USB serial devices that you
can talk to with minicom using an AT command set.  Going online
with one of these in FreeBSD involves modifying /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
with the correct information.

You have to initialize the card on a Windows machine.  I used
my roommate's notebook.

I don't know if FreeBSD needs to be tweaked out the way Linux
(ohci-hcd) does.

> Thanks,
> Chris

- Mike