Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:29:36 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to set dumpdev

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:37:16AM -0400, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> >	i can't use dumpon, since the kernel is panicking on boot, so
> >tried in loader.conf:
> >	dumpdev="/dev/ar0s1b"
> >but getting:
> >db> call doadump
> >Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
> >0x25
> >
> >i need this is for current 6.0
> >thanks,
> >	danny
> >

> That directive, along with dumpdir, would be set in /etc/rc.conf.

According to `man dumpon` (on a 5-STABLE system):

     Since dumpon cannot be used during kernel initialization, the dumpdev
     variable of loader(8) must be used to enable dumps for system panics
     which occur during kernel initialization.

But I don't find 'dumpdev' referenced anywhere under /usr/src/sys/boot/. Is
the documentation wrong?

Regards,

Brian.