Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 08:21:10 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv and XFree86 4.0 Problems

Randall

>  |Alternatively : move back to XFree86 3.x versions, I've been using 4.0
>  |at work and it *seems to me* to be aimed somewhat more at the Linux users.
>
> What makes you say that?  Just curious (as I haven't upgraded yet).

Well, during the internal development of XFree86 4.0 lots of things were
made to
work on Linux first. However this is only natural. There are far more
Linux hackers on the XFree86 developers list than BSD hackers.

However, when it comes to actual public releases, OS differences are
generally very small.
DRI is the only thing I can think of which does not work on FreeBSD
'out of the box'.  (or 'off the FTP site')

DRI support is neeted to get hardware accleration for OpenGL.
Utah-GLX 3d accleration does not work in XFree86 4.0 due to a different
internal structure of XFree86.
There is DRI code for the Voodoo3 and preliminary code for Matrox cards,
but all for Linux Only.

Fortunatly Doug Rabson is working on that and has submitted
FreeBSD patches for inclusion.

So, if you follow the internal development, then yes, Linux has a head
start.
However 99% of us use the proper released versions, and there
is no problem here, except for DRI.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.