Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:25:50 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        syborg@stny.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup world/ports

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:10:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: CVSup world/ports

<From Mike Hogsett's excellent CVSup post>:=20
>> cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /etc/standard-supfile
>
>edit /etc/standard-supfile
>
>change :
>
>*default host=3DCHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
>
>Set "CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org" to a "close" cvsup server.  By close I mean
>one that has either a good ping or the fewest hops in traceroute.
>
>Here in Silicon Valley I used to get great speeds from=20
>cvsup14.FreeBSD.org until I started running my own cvsup mirror, now I=20
>use my mirror.
>
>change :
>
>*default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_7
>
>**NOTE** "RELENG_4_7" will likely be different in your copy of
>standard-supfile.  Change it to be "RELENG_4_7".  This is the 4.7 with
>patches branch (a good one to track).
>
>run :
>
>> cvsup -g /etc/standard-supfile
>
>This should begin the process of updating your /usr/src directory.
>Depending on your network connection this may take from under an hour to
>several hours.
>
>*** NOTE *** you may want to do the same cvsup procedure using
>/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile to update /usr/ports.  Just copy
>it to /etc, edit the "*default host=3D" line to the same as you used=20
before,
>then run "cvsup -g /etc/ports-supfile".  This will update all of
>/usr/ports.

First, let me say that I did this last night and it's quite painless - 45=
=20
minutes to CVSup (no ports) and 45 minutes to build/install.

Is it common practice to do the system *and* ports CVSup at the same time?=
=20
Just for yucks I did the system last night and I'll try the ports tonight.

Also, there's a=20

 *default release=3Dcvs tag=3D

line in the example ports supfile - should I/we make that:

 *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_7

or is the 'cvs tag' line not relevant to the ports upgrade?

Thanks - JB

#  John Bleichert=20
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg

If you try to change the tag that way, you'll have a
heck of a time finding where your ports went.  ;)

Read the comments in stable-supfile (they might be in
ports-supfile also) regarding the necessity of keeping
the version line "tag=3D."

Yes, it's common to do system and ports at the same
time.  Not doing so might cause port builds to break
when encountering newer/older than expected versions
of build tools or other system bits.

Jud