Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 16:11:31 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        dannyho@bigpond.net.au
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsupgrade and apsfilter query

The problem is that you're using an older version of 'ln' than the install
script is expecting.  The '-n' switch was added after 4.3-R.  To get it,
you'd have to upgrade to a later version of FreeBSD.  However, the manpage
for ln (in 4.6-RC) says

"The -h, -i, -n and -v options are non-standard and their use in scripts
     is not recommended."

So you have a perfect right to complain to whomever wrote the apsfilter
install script that they're breaking things they shouldn't be.

(I am actually not subscribed to ports@ - I just found your message on google
while trying to figure out an apsfilter problem of my own!  :)

-David

original message below
----------
Hello,

-I am trying to get the latest version of apsfilter
-I am currently running

apsfilter-6.1.1

-And I am running

FreeBSD backup.freebsbsd.org 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21
10:54:49 GMT 2001     jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386

- I am getting the error below if I try to upgrade to the latest version of
apsfilter using portupgrade.

tar cf - driver | ( cd /usr/local/share/apsfilter && tar xf -)
ln -sfn /usr/local/share/apsfilter /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir
ln: illegal option -- n
usage: ln [-fisv] file1 file2
       ln [-fisv] file ... directory
       link file1 file2
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/apsfilter/work/apsfilter.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/apsfilter.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/apsfilter.